TikTok mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy. TikTok has global offices including Los Angeles, New York, London, Paris, Berlin, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, Jakarta, Seoul, and Tokyo and Headquarter at Canada.
TikTok is a Chinese video-sharing social networking service owned by ByteDance, a Beijing-based company founded in 2012 by Zhang Yiming. It is used to create short dance, lip-sync, comedy and talent videos. Duets, a feature that allows users to add their own video to an existing video with the original content’s audio, have sparked most of these trends. It was initially launched as Douyin in September 2016, in China. The following year, in 2017, the app was launched by ByteDance for markets outside of China.
TikTok and Douyin both use the same software but maintain separate networks in order to comply with Chinese censorship restrictions. Later, TikTok was launched in 2017 for iOS and Android in markets outside of China. It became available in the United States after merging with musical.ly on 2 August 2018. TikTok and Douyin are similar to each other and essentially the same app, however they run on separate servers to comply with Chinese censorship restriction.The application allows users to create short music and lip-sync videos of 3 to 15 seconds and short looping videos of 3 to 60 seconds.
TikTok merged with musical.ly on 2 August 2018 to create a larger video community, with existing accounts and data consolidated into one app, keeping the title TikTok.
Its surpassed Facebook, YouTube and Instagram to become the world’s most downloaded iOS app.
TikTok employs artificial intelligence to analyze users’ interests and preferences through their interactions with the content and display a personalized content feed for each user.
In the three years after it launched in September 2016, TikTok acquired 500 million active users.
While TikTok has a neutral gender-bias format, 44% of TikTok users are female while 56% are male. TikTok’s geographical use has shown that 43% of new users are from India. TikTok has proven to attract the younger generation, as 41% of its users are between the ages of 16 and 24. Among these TikTok users, 90% say they use the app on a daily basis
There are few restrictions for the users of TikTok. Like they provide a separate experience for Younger Users in the United States on the Children’s Platform, in which we collect only limited information. TikTok is not directed at children under the age of 13. In certain cases, this age may be higher due to local regulatory requirements. For different countries they have different Age, Parental & Guardian Consent.
During the Pandemic situation of Covid-19. TikTok partnered with most of the countries all over the world as a global community. For example, they have partnered with UNDP India and launched #GharBaithoIndia, a series of fun and educational live programs with a goal of sharing in a bit of levity, providing users some comfort, and embracing the responsibility we all have to do the right thing by staying inside and stopping the spread.
Further, they have partnered with WHO and UNICEF to promote a global #SafeHands challenge to encourage hygienic habits without adding to alarm. Since the WHO kicked off the challenge, we have been overwhelmed by the dedication our community has demonstrated to preventing the spread of the virus by sharing the songs and sounds they use to encourage thorough handwashing.
TikTok started many campaigns for Good, some of few are
- # EduTok: EduTok, TikTok’s most popular challenge to date, encourages users to create educational and motivational content around a variety of themes.
- #PetBff: TikTok worked with animal shelters and animal welfare organizations worldwide in a global campaign to celebrate International Homeless Animals’ Day 2019.
- # ForClimate: In partnership with the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, TikTok launched a global campaign to spread climate change awareness in over 100 markets.
- #MyEarthHour2019: Earth Hour, initiated by World Wildlife Fund, is the world’s largest collective environmental movement, which launches annual public celebrations in 3,500 cities across more than 170 countries. TikTok joined the 2019 Earth Hour campaign as a global partner of WWF, inviting users and celebrities around the world to support environmental protection.
If we talk about the statistics of TikTok
- TikTok was launched in September 2016, and in the three years since its launch, it’s safe to say that it has exploded in popularity. TikTok has 800 million active users worldwide. That makes TikTok 9th in terms of social network sites, ahead of better-known sites such as LinkedIn, Twitter, Pinterest, and Snapchat.
- TikTok app has been downloaded has over 1.5 billion users all over the world.
- TikTok app conquers the Teen of the world. 41 percent of TikTok users are aged between 16 and 24.
- India is followed by China and the United States with 45.5 million (7.4 percent) and 37.6 million (six percent) downloads, respectively. In 2019 alone India was responsible for 277.6 million downloads, which make up almost half (45 percent) of the number of downloads in the entire year This is also 60 percent of the total number of downloads in India. In other words, six out of every ten downloads of the TikTok app in India took place in 2019.
- Users spend an average of 52 minutes per day on the app
- As of 2019, TikTok is available in 155 countries (Apptrace, 2019). It is also available in 75 languages. This covers a large part of the population.
TikTok also began testing ads on the app. The company allows marketers to connect with users and consumers in more than 20 different markets including North America, India, Russia, and Japan.
There are various advantages & disadvantages
TikTok is commonly utilized by everybody. Peoples are making little video clips and offer it with their followers for getting comments and likes and they need to be renowned by this TikTok application. It seems very satisfying and awesome if you use it when you are free.
There are a wide variety of background music and the people acts according to the music. TikTok provides an awesome platform to people who wish to become famous among people without having any specialized skills or talents. This app allows every common man to make interesting music videos and gain instant publicity in society.
You do not require any specialized equipment to create superb videos. This app does everything for you. The content you create has the potential to engage users and become viral.
Peoples are wasting their time in making such a useless movie plus they believe that they will be well popular no you might be wasting crucial time. Our sense of balance is your biggest strength, so balance your time according and assign minimum possible time for TikTok. The addiction of the application among youth has created a lot of tension among their parents. Constant use of this application has become a pain more than enjoyment for people.
Even the children of younger generation are so much engaged in this trend that they are not taking their parents warning seriously. They should understand that it is not that bad unless they understand the consequences. People are doing stunt by themselves risking their life just for the sake of 15/60 seconds. The most important things they are leaving the flavour of being childish. Playing with technology has taken over playing with your peer group.
We are in that era of 4th Industrial revolution, where we should learn the technology, and the technology is changing day by day, so it becomes more necessary to be in touch with that changes. TikTok has taken away the larger market share than other social media apps. In terms of social media market share, TikTok was among the few apps which gained significant market share rise. And in coming years it will increase also for sure.
“Use your brain more than fingers”